Hummus is a popular Middle Eastern dip commonly served with pita bread and vegetables. In this recipe, we’ve added a couple of ingredients to give it a Latin flair.
Hummus is a healthy snack that is high in fiber because of the chickpeas, and has no cholesterol. Consider this appetizer for your next party!
Featured on Fox News Latino
Makes 24-30 cups
- 1-15.5 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- ¼ cup liquid from can of chickpeas
- 3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)
- 1 ½ tablespoons tahini paste (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced canned chipotle chilies
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Red bell pepper, diced
- 2-3 seedless cucumbers
- Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can.
- Combine remaining ingredients (except cucumber, red bell pepper and cilantro) in blender or food processor including ¼ cup of liquid from chickpeas.
- Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth.
- Mix in cilantro ,place in bowl and set aside.
- Peel cucumbers leaving some skin creating a striped design.
- Slice cucumbers about 3/4” thick.
- With a melon baller or small spoon scoop out most of the inside creating a cup.
- Fill cups with hummus mixture.
- Top with diced red pepper and serve.
10. If Tahini paste is not available, it’s easy to make your own! You will need 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds (toast at 350 degrees for 5 mins), ½ teaspoon sesame or olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons water.
11. Place sesame seeds in a blender or food processor and grind until smooth. Add oil and salt. Process until combined. Then add the water and blend until smooth.