Featured on Fox News Latino
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• 1 -4 ounce package chorizo, thinly sliced
• 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
• 1 carrot, finely chopped (about ½ cup)
• ½ green bell pepper, finely chopped (about ½ cup)
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon tomato paste
• ½ teaspoon ground cumin
• ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika
• ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
• 8 cups chicken stock
• 1 pound dry lentils, rinsed
• 1-2 bay leaves
• Salt and Pepper to taste, if desired
1. Heat oil in medium stockpot over medium-high heat, add chorizo and cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
2. To the same pot, add onions, carrots and peppers to pot. Cook until veggies are soft, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and stir for one more minute.
3. Add tomato paste, paprika, cumin and coriander. Mix until well blended.
4. Then add chicken stock, bay leaf, lentils and bring to a boil.
5. Simmer for about 35-40- minutes until lentils are soft. Discard bay leaves and stir in chorizo before serving.