What better way to enjoy veggies in the summertime but on the grill? In this recipe, we combined an assortment of vegetables along with Peruvian-style roasted chicken promoting both good health and great flavor.
Posted on Fox News Latino
• 1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds)
• 4 tablespoons white vinegar
• 3 tablespoons white wine or chicken stock
• 3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
• 2 ½ tablespoons garlic powder
• 2 tablespoons paprika
• 1 ½ tablespoons ground cumin
• 2 teaspoons black pepper
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 lemon, juiced
• cold water (enough to cover chicken)
• 3-4 ears fresh corn, husked
• 1 large red onion, cut into disks about ⅓ inch thick
• 1 large red bell pepper
• ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
• 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
• 1 – 15 ½ ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 cup queso fresco or feta, crumbled (optional)
• ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 tablespoonschopped fresh oregano
1. Combine vinegar, wine, oil with garlic powder, cumin, paprika, black pepper, and salt. Mix well to form a paste.
2. Add lemon juice to cold water. Trim chicken of any excess or loose fat. Wash chicken thoroughly with lemon water.
3. Place chicken in a plastic seal bag. Pour savory paste over chicken. Coat chicken completely with mixture rubbing into every surface. Seal bag and place chicken in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
4. Preheat one side of grill. Place chicken on the side in which the grill is not turned on and grill for approximately 1 ½ hours turning half way.
5. While chicken is cooling, prepare veggies by placing corn, onion, and pepper on a large rimmed baking sheet and brush with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Grill the corn and onion, flipping occasionally, until beginning to brown (the onions should still be a little crunchy), 8 to 10 minutes. The pepper will take slightly longer, about 12 minutes. Grill until charred on all sides. Transfer veggies to a cutting board to cool slightly and put the pepper in a bowl, cover, and cool slightly.
7. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk ¼ cup of olive oil, adobo sauce, vinegar, 1 teaspoons salt, and ½ teaspoons pepper.
8. In a large serving bowl, shred chicken. Coarsely chop the onion, cut the corn from the cobs and add to bowl with chicken.
9. Skin, seed, and coarsely chop the pepper; add to the bowl, along with the beans, cheese, cilantro, and oregano.
10. Re-whisk the dressing, add it to the chicken and corn mixture, and toss well. (Marinate chicken 1 day ahead and prepare salad day of). Just as delicious cold or room temperature.
Serves 6-8 as a side dish.