This Peruvian potato salad is topped with a spicy creamy cheese sauce that is enjoyed during the holiday season. In this recipe, we added seared scallops which provide a great source of vitamin B12, an important nutrient for cardiovascular health.Serves 8.
Featured on Fox News Latino
• 8 Medium to large yukon potatoes
• 1 ½ pounds Sea scallops (16-20)
• 1 pint Grape tomatoes
• Fresh spinach
• 2 Tbsp. scallions, thinly sliced (optional)
• Salt and pepper
For the Huancaína Sauce
• 1 cup Evaporated milk
• 1 cup Farmers cheese
• 6 Mini sweet red peppers
• 1 large Jalapeño pepper
• 2 Garlic cloves, grated
• 1 tsp. Salt
1. Bring potatoes and peppers to a boil. Once it is boiling add a generous amount of salt and continue to boil.
2. While boiling, prep the scallops by removing the small side muscle. Then rinse with cold water and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. After 15 minutes, remove peppers from boiling water and after 1 minute, cut away the tops to cool faster. Once cooled enough to handle, cut peppers and remove seeds and ribs.
4. Prepare Huancaína sauce by combining milk, farmers cheese, garlic, peppers and salt in a blender. Mix until desired consistency.
5. After about 35 minutes (depending on the size of the potatoes), shock the potatoes with cold water. This will make it easier to peel the skin.
6. While potatoes are cooling, melt butter and add olive oil to a skillet. Once hot, add scallops and sear for about 2 minutes on each side.
7. Slice potatoes about 1 ½ inches thick and arrange on platter with spinach and tomatoes. Then ladle sauce over potatoes.
8. Place seared scallops on Huancaína sauce. Sprinkle with scallions and serve.