Use low or fat free cheese and hollow out some hoagie bread does not make it a healthy sandwich but it is a better option. Serve up this slightly revised recipe of your typical sausage and peppers sandwich this Super Bowl Sunday or any day for that matter.
- 14 ounces chorizo, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups fat-free cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 hoagie sandwich bread, halved and hollowed
- In a deep skillet, sauté chorizo for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add peppers and garlic and sauté for an additional minute. Then add stock and balsamic vinegar and simmer covered until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and mix with shredded cheese.
- Stuff bread with chorizo mixture and place in oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread us toasty.
- Serve with a side salad.
Makes 12 hoagies halves.