Sure, egg whites are high in protein while the yolks are high in cholesterol. But did you know that yolks are also high in calcium, vitamin A, E, D, K and so on? Fear not, when making this recipe. Yolks impart a variety of health benefits, including healthy protein, fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. As they say, everything in moderation.
Published on Fox News Latino.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup dry Marsala
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest from one lemon
- Separate egg yolks from the white and place in a medium bowl.
- Add sugar and whisk until thick for about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk and heavy cream over medium heat until it begins to bubble.
- Gradually whisk hot milk mixture into yolk mixture; return to saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat for about 5 minutes and until custard leaves path on back of spoon with one stroke of your finger.
- Pour custard through sieve set over medium bowl.
- Stir Marsala, rum, and vanilla into custard. Cover and refrigerate until cool; about an hour. Then transfer gelato to an airtight container. Freeze until firm. Minimum 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve with fresh berries and indulge a little.
Makes 4 servings.