Yuca always brings me back to my childhood. I love the smooth buttery texture. In this recipe I’ve incorporated a heart healthy version in honor of American Heart Month. It’s low in fat, low in sodium and low in cholesterol which equals a HAPPY HEART!
Featured on Fox News Latino
Yields 6 side dishes
- 1 pound peeled frozen yucca
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + 2 tablespoons
- 1 large spanish onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a pot add yucca and enough water to cover. Bring water to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Drain yucca and cut lengthwise into wedges (like steak fries), discarding the thin woody core.
- Spread yucca wedges on cookie sheet, and drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Toss, cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- While yucca is baking, prepare your peppers and onions. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and add onions and peppers. Sauté for three minutes.
- Add garlic, salt and oregano and sauté for another 5-7 minutes.
- Arrange yucca on a serving platter and spread peppers and onions mixture on top.
- Serve immediately.
Tip – pairs up nicely with beef stew.