Corned beef is a salt-cured beef product and as picky as my husband is, it was one of his favorite foods while growing up and still to this day. So naturally, he challenged me to make an empanada.
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 12 ounce can corned beef
- 2/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup corn
- 1 small potato, diced
- Oil for frying
- 1 package empanada discs
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil and add onions. Cook until translucent.
- Add garlic and red pepper and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add corned beef and tomato sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While simmering, fry the potatoes in oil and set aside.
- When corned beef is done (should be somewhat dry) add potatoes and corn.
- Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of the corned beef mixture in the center of each disc.
- Fold over and seal each empanada by crimping with a fork.
- Fry until golden brown and drain over paper towels.
- Serve warm.
Makes 10 empanadas.