I made this recipe for a company event and based on tremendous positive feedback from both my daughter and the staff, I think I will be making these quite often. Time to get a second mini-muffin pan!
- 1 ½ cups butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 ¼ cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 5 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons lemon extract
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the lemon juice, extracts and lemon peel. Add flour; beat just until moistened.
- Fill greased miniature muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 325° for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients. Dip tops of cakes into glaze; place on waxed paper to dry.
Makes 80-90 tea cakes.
This is an adapted version originally published as Lemon Tea Cakes in Taste of Home February/March 2002, p65