Gasp! Paella without using rice? But it’s really quite delicious. Like Superman, Quinoa is the strongest grain because it contains more protein than any other grain. It’s also high in fiber, minerals and a great source of vitamins. It’s not heavy like most other grains. It cooks up nice and fluffy but still has a nice little crunch. Feeling a lot like tapioca on the tongue. Quinoa is a great replacement for rice and pasta and can be used for dishes from breakfast to dinner to desserts making it very versatile.
Featured on Fox News Latino
Makes 4 healthy servings
- 2 cups quinoa
- 1 chopped red union
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil + 1 tbls olive oil
- 1/2 tsp saffron
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1 lb mussels
- 1/2 lb peeled shrimp
- 1/2 lb chorizo thinly sliced
- 2 oz white cooking wine
- 1 lime
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Sauté onions in oil for a few minutes until it’s translucent. Add garlic and stir for an additional minute.
- Stir in saffron and quinoa.
- Add the broth, bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a separate pan, sauté red bell pepper, shrimp and chorizo.
- In another pan, boil mussels in the white wine for about 5 minutes.
- Add frozen peas. Stir in bell peppers and shrimp. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate the dish and top with mussels and lime wedges.
- For vegetarians – try zuchini and eggplant
- For non-seafood eaters – try chicken and chorizo and chicken broth