I created this recipe for a teachers luncheon and it was all the rave. I had to share the recipe with quite a few people right away. It’s a perfect crowd-pleaser and so so good on those cold winter nights.
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups beef broth
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 10 fresh basil leaves, torn
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 large zucchini, sliced (I went with half moon shapes)
- 8 ounces fresh tortellini pasta (get tri for extra color to your dish)
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt to taste
- Brown sausage in a large pot (I like breaking it up in to tiny pieces as I cook kind of like ground beef). Remove sausage and set aside in a bowl.
- Using the sausage drippings sauté onions and garlic. Add a little olive oil if need be. Stir in beef broth, , wine, bay leaf, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, cumin, tomato sauce, and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini and parsley. Simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. (The pork and fresh herbs contain a ton of flavor so you really won’t need much if any at all).
- Add tortellini and continue to simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
Serve with crusty bread and eat. YUM!