Yuca mash is very similar to mash potato with a slightly grainier texture. In this recipe, we’ve incorporated a huancaina cheese sauce giving it a spicy Peruvian touch.
Featured on Fox News Latino.
- 2 ½ pounds yuca root, frozen
- 1 medium to large onion, sliced + ½ cup chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-2 jalapeños, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed
- 2 cups white farmer’s cheese (queso freso)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Boil yuca root for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until soft and cooked through.
- Drain, cool slightly and remove center woody part of root from yuca pieces, if necessary.
- In a mixing bowl for a mixer, mash yuca thoroughly with a potato masher.
- While yuca is boiling, prepare Huancaina sauce – in a hot pan with 2 tablespoons olive oil, sauté chopped onions, mashed garlic and jalapeños for about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a blender, mix evaporated milk, farmer’s cheese, turmeric and onion mixture until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In the same frying pan, add remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sauté sliced onions until caramelized, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add Huancaino sauce to yuca and mix well using the electric mixer.
- Transfer to serving platter and top with caramelized onions.